I am a big fan of Paneer, and love it as much as I love non vegetarian food. But frankly, I am tired of the same old ‘Makhani’ and ‘Masala’ preparations, and wasn’t keen on Palak Paneer either. I wracked my brain and came up empty, and that was when I found this awesome Kashmiri recipe by chef Aditya Bal.
Kashmiri cuisine is often overlooked and underplayed, with only a few recipes ever making it to limelight. I mean it’s without a doubt an enjoyment to eat Rogan Josh, but there’s so much more to Kashmiri food than meat and rice 🙂 This recipe is such, and apart from tasting delicious, it’s also insanely easy to make.
Veth Chaman is a Kashmiri Pundit preparation, and is pure vegetarian, i.e, it is cooked without onion or garlic. Owing to this, the dish is often part of auspicious occasions, weddings and festivities. Chaman, meaning Paneer in Kashmiri, in a flavourful broth, spiced mildly with curd and other condiments, makes for a very interesting recipe indeed.
Veth Chaman (Recipe adapted from Aditya Bal’s)
- Paneer – 300 gms
- Water – 1 cup
- Asafoetida pwd – 1 pinch
- Mustard Oil – 2 tbsp
For the gravy:
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 small piece
- Cloves – 2 to 3
- Turmeric pwd – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli pwd – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chilli pwd – 2 tsp (for red color)
- Dry ginger pwd (Saunth) – 2 tbsp
- Curd – 4 tbsp
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Brown Cardamom – 3
- Green Cardamom – 3
- Saunf or Fennel pwd – 3 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tbsp
For the garam masala
- Cloves – 4 to 5
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Black peppercorns – 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Green Cardamom – 3
- Brown Cardamom – 1
- Cinnamon – 1 piece
- Dry Ginger pwd – 1/4 tbsp
- Boil the water and add asafoetida into it.
- In a pan, fry paneer on both the sides with 2 tbsp mustard oil.
- Transfer fried paneer into the asafoetida hot water mix.
- For the garam masala:
- In a different pan, dry roast all the ingredients. Pound them in a mortar and pestle.
- For the paneer base:
- In a pan, add the mustard oil the paneer was shallow fried in plus 2 more Tbsp oil. Now add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, turmeric powder, red chili powder, kashmiri chili powder, dry ginger powder. Mix them well. Add the asafeotida water to de-glaze.
- In the base mixture add whisked curd, milk, brown cardamom, green cardamom, saunf powder. Mix them well.
- Add the fried paneer into the base mixture and then add the powdered garam masala to it.
- Mix the paneer and garam masala well.
- Then cover it and let it simmer for a while.
- Serve the veth chaman hot.