With the summer refusing to abet any time soon and the mercury slowly crossing 100 F, it is but natural to seek out cooling alternatives to meals. Though of course, no one wants to eat the same things every day, and that gives me a chance to try out new things.
Now bananas and apples are two fruits, constant in my house. Not only are they a great source of natural iron and calcium, they’re also full of natural sugars. So if you need to snack or have a craving for something sweet, these fruits magnificently rise up to the occasion. I however, get bored of eating them in fruit form every day, leading me to make this really yummy Chocolate Banana Shake. This is not only great for snacking, but can also serve as a mid-morning meal, or even a full breakfast-on-the-go.
This milkshake is great, not just in flavours, but it’s also full of vital nutrients and the goodness of dark chocolate. If you’re vegan, you can simply replace the milk with soy milk or almond milk, and it’ll taste just as good. You can also kick it up a notch and use vanilla or chocolate ice cream in place of milk, top it up with whipped cream, the possibilities are endless.
This milkshake is also a great way to use up those over-ripe bananas in your fridge. You can also soak some nuts and add them into the milkshake, or use softened dates or figs and skip the sugar.
Chocolate Banana Milkshake
- Bananas – 4 (preferably over-ripe, as they’re sweeter)
- Full-fat milk – 1 cup (you may add more if you want a thinner consistency)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder – 4 tbsp (I used Hershey’s)
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Melted dark chocolate – 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp for garnish
- Cream – 2 tbsp
- Peel the bananas, remove spots if any and pour into blender.
- Add the sugar and cocoa powder and whiz until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and cream, retaining the rest for garnish.
- Whiz again until everything is mixed completely.
- Pour into serving glasses, chill and serve 🙂
- You can add ice cream instead of milk, nuts, figs or dates and even nuts.
- Garnish the way you like. I used some melted chocolate and cream to make a whimsical pattern inside the glass, chilled in the freezer for 10-15 mins, and then poured in the milkshake.