Eggs are so versatile! You can make anything with them, and even add them to almost every food group, be it savoury or sweet. I love eggs in all forms, and if you ask me what my favourite is, I will invariably be extremely confused. I do however, love having something heavier on weekends, rather than a simple boiled, poached or fried egg. I was planning to make some slow-baked eggs for my Saturday breakfast, but unfortunately, I slept badly last night and woke up really late today.
Naturally, I was upset and sat down with my tea, wracking my brains for ideas. And it came to me suddenly…why not make some quick microwave eggs? I quickly diced some veggies, grated some cheese and brought out my eggs and milk…and viola!
These eggs are soft, moist, delicious and were done in 2 minutes flat! Is there anything simpler?
I don’t like onions in my eggs usually, unless it’s an omelet curry or such, so I skipped those, and used some finely chopped garlic, tomatoes, capsicum and sweet corn. You can add, skip or change the fillings; mushrooms, even bacon, or ham, shredded chicken and even cottage cheese can be a fun combo for these eggs!
Cheesy Egg Baskets
- Eggs – 4
- Milk – 2 tbsp for each egg, or about 1 cup
- Garlic cloves – 2 to 3 small ones for each egg, diced fine or minced or crushed (You can use garlic powder too)
- Tomatoes – 2 medium, diced fine (a tbsp for each egg)
- Capsicum/Green bell pepper – 1/2, chopped fine
- Onion – 1 large, minced (I skipped)
- Cheddar cheese or any other cheese of choice – 1 tbsp grated for each egg.
- Butter – for greasing ramekins
- Salt – to taste
- Coarsely ground black pepper – to taste
- Oregano/Basil or mixed herbs – a pinch for each egg
Equipment: Ceramic/Microwave safe ramekins, basting brush, baking tray, glass of water
- Grease each ramekin well with butter.
- Beat the eggs with the milk until fluffy and pour each egg into individual ramekins.
- Sprinkle the condiments and vegetables on the beaten egg in the ramekins.
- Add 1/2 the amount of cheese, season with salt and pepper or spices.
- Place the ramekins on a baking tray, or directly on the microwave turntable, and place a glass of water next to them. (The water will help to keep the eggs moist and soft)
- Microwave on high for 1 minute, then take them out on to a microwave safe plate.
- Now, garnish with the eggs with remaining cheese on top, and microwave the eggs again for 1 more minute, or until cheese melts.
- Gently pick up each egg with a spoon or knife and place on serving platter.
- Serve hot, and enjoy biting into soft and succulent baked eggs