Dessert for Breakfast? Hell yeah! I know I love it, what about you? 😀
Hot Chocolate Oatmeal is a fun way to zing up your breakfast, and with the addition of fruits or nuts, or both, it’s guaranteed to be a hit even among the kids!
With my low-sugar diet these days, I’m taking care to keep my intake of sucrose and fructose to a minimum, and by beginning the day with a hit of chocolate, I’m ensuring I get a boost of energy and nutrients, while keeping my health in check. This oatmeal is a wonderful way to start your day, especially if you’re tired of the same old stuff; you can even make this before and just warm it up, or even have it chilled if you prefer.
Note: This tastes even better with some sliced bananas, but since I’m already having chocolate, I skipped the banana. You don’t have to
- Old-fashioned Rolled oats – 1 cup
- Milk – 1 cup (I used skim milk)
- Cocoa/Drinking chocolate/Melted chocolate – 2 tbsp (I’ve used Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder)
- Sugar – 1 tbsp (I’ve used 4 pellets of stevia tablets)
- Toasted walnuts – a handful
- Bananas – 1/2, sliced (optional, I skipped it)
- Heat a pan of milk, dissolve the cocoa in it, and add the rolled oats.
- Let the oats cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until soft (If using instant or quick oats, you don’t need to cook them for more than 2 minutes)
- Once the oats begins to thicken, add the sugar, and cook for a couple of minutes more, until texture is like porridge.
- Turn off heat, serve into a bowl.
- Sprinkle toasted walnuts and add sliced bananas, and serve hot!