Sometimes, you just want to dig into a good ol’ piece of decadent chocolate cake, no frills attached. This cake is as simple to make and as tasty as it looks. It’s moist, light and yet fudgy, without being heavy or dense. The recipe is from Martha Stewart’s Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake, and I’ve followed it to the T, except that I baked it in a single 6 inch heart-shaped pan.
Chocolate Cake (makes 1 heart-shaped 6 inch cake)
- All-purpose Flour -2/3 cup (83 gm)
- Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder – 1/3 cup (39 gm)
- Baking powder – 3/4 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Superfine castor sugar – 2/3 cup (150 gm)
- Egg, room temperature – 1, large
- Milk – 4 tbsp (59 ml)
- Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
- Water – 4 tbsp
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
- Butter – for greasing
- Cocoa powder/Powdered sugar – for dusting pan, and cake
- Preheat oven to 180 C, and grease and line a 6 inch baking tin.
- In a large bowl, add the egg, oil, sugar and vanilla extract and whisk it well with a hand beater, or a wire whisk.
- To this, sieve in the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cocoa powder.
- Whisk, whisk, whisk…and add the water, forming a thick, smooth batter.
- Pour this into the greased tin, and bake for 40 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean.
- Dust powdered sugar or chocolate powder on top and serve 🙂