Remember that extra batch of yeast I had when making my Brown Bread? Yes, well, this is what I used that yeast for – my very first, homemade, whole wheat Naan/Flatbread. You might think they’re strange to look at, but frankly, they were delish! And there’s so much satisfaction in making your own naan at home!
It’s quite simple to make, and I had stored the leavened dough in the fridge, having wrapped it in an oiled cling film.
P.S – I didn’t get time to take better pictures, so maaf kar do pileej 😀
Whole Wheat Naan
- Whole wheat flour/atta – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Melted ghee or oil – 2 tbsp
- Curd/Yoghurt – 2 tbsp
- Active dry yeast – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Warm water – 1/2 cup
- Nigella seeds or Kalonji – 2 tsp
- Ghee or butter for applying on the cooked/baked naan
- Pour the warm water in a small bowl, add the yeast and sugar, dissolve and keep it in a warm place for 10 to 20 minutes, until it foams and froths on the surface (if you see bubbles, your yeast is active)
- Sieve the wheat flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the proofed yeast, curd and ghee or oil.
- Make a smooth, soft dough, using your hands or an electric mixer.
- Once smooth, oil the dough and keep it in a large bowl to leaven for at least 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, the dough will have doubled.
- Punch into it, deflating it, and then lightly knead it until it’s smooth again.
- Divide the dough into medium sized balls.
- Take each dough ball, flour your board and roll into into a 5 or 6 inched circle, pulling your rolling pin downwards to give them a roughly angular oblong shape, like a round-edged triangle.
- Sprinkle nigella seeds on top and roll it with your pin to push them down into the naan.
- You can now bake the naan on a greased baking tray, in a pre-heated oven for 4 minutes, at 180 degrees C, or until golden spots pop on the naan.
- Alternately, you can make them on the tawa too, giving each side 3 to 4 minutes, alternating between low and medium flame until the naan has fluffed.
- Make sure the naan is not raw on the inside, so bake on a low flame.
- Once done, apply ghee or butter on top and serve with dish of choice.