Festivities are upon us (and have been since October), and I find it quite sacrilegious to not cook something sweet. So come Diwali, and I found myself preparing a number of traditional ‘mithais’ to combat the festive spirit inside me. Today however, I am posting a very simple and hassle-free recipe for a cheesecake that I made for my parents’ anniversary last week.
Now I know that many of us still find it difficult to find Cream Cheese in many stores, so I will be adding a small note as to what you might use to make a successful cheesecake.
I’m not a pro at baking, and the only times I’ve made a cake have been under supervision and usually in a pressure cooker. So I decided to not go the baking way and thought of making a no-bake cheesecake.
Cheesecakes are sinful and quite decadent, and to counter the heaviness of the cream and the cream cheese, I used minimal sweetness and added fresh coconut to give the cake a natural sweetness. If you’re NOT a fan of coconut, skip it. You may add orange zest, lime zest, lemon essence, or any number of flavours to it..but if like me you can eat coconut in any form, then go ahead and give this a try!
- 185g (1.5 cups) crushed plain chocolate biscuits
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 90g butter, melted
- 500g cream cheese, softened
- 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk Powder
- 2 tbsp warm water
- I tsp vanilla
- 300 ml carton cream
- I tbsp gelatine dissolved in 1/4 cup boiling water, cooled
- Combine biscuit crumbs, toasted coconut and butter, press into base of 23cm springform pan.
- Beat cream cheese and NESTLE Sweetened Condensed Milk until smooth.
- Beat in combined Coconut Milk Powder, warm water and vanilla. Beat in cream.
- Beat gelatine into cream cheese mixture.
- Spoon mixture evenly over crumb crust, refrigerate until firm.
- If desired, top with scrips of orange peel or toasted coconut.
(Note: Cream Cheese might not be available everywhere, but no worries. I made a small batch with homemade paneer/chenna, and 2 tbsp of yogurt/curd and 4 tbsp of Amul cream. Gave a good churn and it came out perfect in consistency..Sour cream can also be used..)